Snap Setter Tool
Why go to a custom repair shop to fix your canvas snaps when you can quickly and easily do it yourself with the Snap Setter snap setting tool? With snap-shaped dies welded directly to a rugged locking plier, the Snap Setter Snap Setting Tool is designed to install the cap (dome) of the snap directly to the canvas. The locking plier design provides greater leverage than die-and-peg snap tools and will last much longer than the light duty snap pliers you see in some marine stores.
Key Features of the Snap Setter Tool
- Set your own snaps with the Snap Setter Tool
- Heavy-duty locking plier with welded snap dies
- Great value compared to cheaper tools or more expensive locking plier options
- Works on the dome (cap) side of the snap only
- Works with virtually all boat snaps
- Nickel plated finish resists rust and corrosion
Installing a Snap with the Snap Setter
Watch how it works
Canvas & Snap Tool Resources
Ironwood Pacific manufactures a full line of tools to help you maintain and replace the snaps on your boat canvas. These informative articles will help you make the most of these tools, and keep you from paying for repairs from your local canvas shop.
Q. What does the Canvas Care Kit include?
The Canvas Care Kit comes with snap lube, 10 complete replacement snaps, and a punch & anvil snap setting tool -- all in a floating case.
Q. How do I replace snaps with the punch & anvil snap setting tool?
Refer to the article "Replacing Snaps with the Canvas Care Kit."
Q. How many snaps come in the snap pack?
There are 10 complete replacement snaps in the snap pack.
Q. What size are the replacement snaps?
The snaps are the standard size for boat canvas applications. The stud is 3/8" across and the center post is 1/4".
Q. Are the snaps stainless steel?
No. The replacement snaps are marine grade nickel plated brass.
Q. How do I use the snap lube?
Apply snap lube sparingly to the snap dome and stud to add lubrication and cut through any corrosion, making snapping and unsnapping your boats snaps easier.
Your Top-Snapper™ Canvas Care Kit contains:
- Snap parts for 10 snaps, each consisting of a dome with a hollow post, a corresponding female snap fitting, The male snap fitting and a corresponding back plate with a hollow post
If you are replacing a broken snap:
- Remove the old snap if it is still in place - it may just pull apart or you may need to remove it depending on how it failed. If you need to remove it, you should see that there is a hollow post that runs from the dome through the female part of the snap; the hollow post has been deformed to rivet the two pieces together. Take a drill with a drill bit slightly larger than the center of the hollow post, place the snap on a firm surface and fix it in place. We use vice grips to hold the dome. If you don’t secure the dome, it will spin under the bit and may damage the canvas. Use all safety precautions for using a drill. Place the point of the bit in the hole of the post, and carefully drill, this should cut away the lip that holds the snap together.
- When the old snap is gone, you can place a new snap through the existing hole.
Making sure that the dome is on the correct side, place the post through the existing hole then place the female snap fitting back in place over the tube on the back of the canvas.
- Keeping the snap together, place the snap dome in the concave side of the die, then place the tip of the punch into the opening of the hollow post.
- Strike the punch with a mallet or hammer. This will roll the edges of the post out and rivet the two pieces together. Make sure that it is deformed enough that the two pieces of the snap half are firmly fixed together sandwiching the canvas.<.li>
- You've replaced your snap dome!
If you need to change a male portion of a snap in the canvas, follow the same directions except:
- Use a male half and a flat backing plate with post instead of the dome and female snap half.
- Flip the die over and place the flat snap back into the round recessed area rather than the concave bowl side.
Installing a new snap:
- If you are installing a new snap, you will want to locate the exact spot on the canvas where you want your snap positioned. Punch or cut a small hole in the canvas to allow the post to go through. Otherwise you will follow the same basic procedures outlined above for replacing a snap.
* All items shipped via Fedex Ground require a signature upon receipt. To arrange a delivery time or drop off location for your shipment you can register with Fedex Delivery Manager and provide your tracking information.
We offer free shipping on all orders within the Continental United States. Items purchased through the Ironwood Pacific website are typically processed and ready for shipment within 1-2 business days. During the summer months (or right before a holiday) this could change to 3-4 processing days. Please call to confirm current lead times before placing your order.
For orders within the lower 48 states, we ship with either FedEx or USPS ground. Please call for available express options and applicable shipping charges. There is no sales tax in Oregon, so we do not charge sales tax on U.S. orders, regardless of your destination.
For shipments to destinations outside the continental United States, we will be happy to provide you with a quote. Please complete our Shipping Quote Request form.
Typical FedEx Ground Transit Time for Products in Business Days
5.00 stars, based on 1
Overall Customer Rating of 1 Reviews: